Look who is 28. Yay!
Yes, It was my birthday yesterday and I absolutely enjoyed it.
I’m one of those people that gets really excited about their birthdays not because my life is perfect far from it, not because I have everything I want or have achieved all my goals but because I appreciate the gift of life and I would never ever take it for granted.
This past year was the most amazing year of my life so far. I stepped out in faith towards my dreams and created something really beautiful. I can genuinely say that I am happy and fulfilled. I wrote about it here already, so I wouldn’t bore you with all the details.
On becoming 28, I thought to share a few of things I have learnt over the years. So here goes;
1. It’s okay to not be strong all the time- I’m an amazingly strong person. I don’t allow any situation to weigh me down at all, I also suppress my emotions a whole lot. In other words, I’m really hardcore.
But the truth is, I’m not always “strong”. I suppress my emotions and put on a brave face to keep myself in good spirit, yes but it is sometimes because I don’t want anyone to see me sulking or crying. I’ve realised that it is okay to be vulnerable, it is okay to cry. I’m still not very good at it but I’m slowly beginning to allow myself express my emotions and simply cry when I need to.
2. No is a complete statement- I don’t have to go along with things that I’m not comfortable with and it is perfectly okay to say NO. I’ve learnt to simply decline no lying, no excuses, no unnecessary explanations and without any form of guilt. JUST NO
3. I’m blessed with the gift of people and friendships- When people talk about terrible friends, I really cannot relate. I am surrounded by really good people and amazing friends that go all the way for me.
4. You cannot please everyone- People will always have an opinion about anything and everything and what you do. You can never please them, so just do you
5. I have zero tolerance for negativity and drama- If I slightly “perceive” negativity, drama or anything that would cost me my peace from afar, I avoid it totally. My peace is important to me and I’m very protective of it. No bad energy, no negative vibe.
6. “Self first” is not selfish- In order to care for others, I have to be okay first. I can’t give what I don’t have, I can’t pour from an empty cup, I have to care for myself first.
7. Things are not always as they seem- The grass is not always greener on the other side. I’ve learnt to be super content with my life and with what I have at every point.
8. The world is amazing- Despite the chaos, evil, crisis, terrorism, there is still so much good in this world, there are still good people out there and there is hope for humanity
9. I won’t tone down your success/happiness/comfort to fit into places you have outgrown- Growth is inevitable, with it comes some kind of upgrade and I’m allowed to be very happy and comfortable at every stage without feeling bad about it. It’s not pride, it is just what it is.
10. Time spent in self reflection is never wasted- I love people but I love my space as much. I’ve learnt to be alone, to sit with myself, speak with myself and like it. I absolutely enjoy my own company.
11. I am my greatest cheerleader- I’m not ashamed to promote myself or my brand, I’ve learnt to stop caring what people would think about it and to stop seeing it as doing too much
12. It’s okay to be unmotivated sometimes- I like being on top of my game every time, to always be creative but there are days that I feel so unmotivated and unproductive. I am learning that it is okay to cut myself some slack and not force it and that being unmotivated does not make me less creative or amazing.
13. To know and to grow, learning has no end.
14. “Everybody go dey alright”- This is one of my favorite quotes. I say to myself, Fadekemi, Be yourself, do what makes you happy, everyone will be fine.
Above all, I’m in a happy place and I look forward to an amazing new year.
Thanks for following,
Love and Light.