Are you a “9-5er”, a student, an entrepreneur, a blogger, stay-at-home mum? the real question is, are you productive at the end of the day?
Whether you are the type that only makes mental notes, the type that makes “to-do” lists or the one that just go with the flow, however you go about doing your daily tasks, productivity is key and there is a certain kind of joy that comes with completing a task, achieving one’s goals and having a productive day/ week.
In this age of technology and social media, it is easy to get distracted and end up not achieving anything at the end of the day.
Here are some simple but useful tips for increasing productivity.
1. Visualize and write down your plans: It is okay to make mental notes but it is even better to actually write down your plans and tick them off as you complete each task to avoid forgetting or leaving anything out.
2. Prioritize: Focus on the most important things first. Take them out of the way before moving to less important ones.
3. Less is more: Productivity doesn’t mean burdening yourself with so many tasks, it is being efficient, fruitful and achieving meaningful results in whatever you do. Know your capability, if you can only undertake three tasks, do just that so you can be efficient at it and yield tangible results.
4. Avoid doing the right things at the wrong time: An example is reading (which in itself is not bad) when you should be sewing, that’s wrong and it will affect your productivity on the long run.
5. Avoid multi-tasking: Don’t do 5 things at once. Complete one task, before moving to another, except it is something you should pause and get back to, otherwise finish one task before you attempt the next.
6. Avoid distractions: If you want to read or do anything that requires your full attention for 2 hours, don’t go checking every notification you get from Instagram or WhatsApp, If you can’t ignore it, put your phone on silent mode or switch off the internet. Also, the first thing you don’t want to do when you wake up is check Instagram or Twitter, you might end up spending 2 hours scrolling and moving from one photo/post to another. Be guided.
7. Delegate: Optimize your productivity by focusing on the things you’re extremely good at and delegate the ones that can be handled perfectly by someone else, no man is an island.
8. Take breaks: You don’t have to do all your tasks back to back, allow your brain and body to rest. Resting here isn’t wasting time, it’s needed for you to function properly. Take necessary breaks, you are not a robot.
9. Avoid negative energy Those things/people that sap your positive energy or zeal/enthusiasm to work and function well, avoid them as much as you can.
10. Procrastination is a thief of time: Take immediate actions, what you have to do, do quick. This shouldn’t be confused with resting.
11. Drink water and mind your business: You can’t be all up in other people’s business and be able to carry out yours effectively. Focus on your work.
Items to aid productivity;
- Highlighting pens
- Sticky notes
- Marker boards
- Productivity apps (available on Google Play store and App store); Notepad EverythingSuccess Wiz ProductiveHabit Tracker Evernote Todoist
Try these tips, make a conscious effort to follow through and GET PRODUCTIVE!